Saturday, January 20, 2007

'Bye G'Kar

This morning I had to perform the difficult task of putting one of my pets to sleep. G'Kar was my german shepherd dog that I've had for 6 years now. I had gotten him from the German Shephed Rescue when he was about 6 years old. He's pictured here in 2004 for christmas.

I took him to the vet a little over a week ago because he wasn't looking good. What I thought originally was a badly sprained leg turned out to be something much more serious, but what that something was we never determined exactly. There were x-rays, ultrasound, several nights stay and intravenous feedings. He had started recovering and got to come home. He seemed to have his pep back, but after just a couple of days, he was in bad shape again.

I suspected that he had given up last Thursday when he decided to just let the snow pile up on him instead of getting shelter. From then he quit eating and barely drank any water. Finally Friday I had made the decision that he was in just too much pain.

At the vet, he received the first injection, the one that puts him to sleep. I couldn't bear to stay for the 2nd which actually brings death. I suppose it was prophetic that in the next examination room was a puppy's first visit to the vet, and I could hear the advice they were giving to the new (and newbie) pet owners!

I will miss him quite a bit. D'Len and Guinan are already missing him.

No comments: