Saturday, July 02, 2011

Meetup.com's Attitude

Just saw that my Meetup.com subscription has renewed on the credit card, and once again I'm reviewing why I have stayed with them and why I continue to allow them to take my money.

My general opinion of Meetup.com, the company, is that they suck. They try to strike the Apple attitude of "This is what we are giving, you are commanded to like it, and if you don't like it then you are stupid". Seriously, that is what they think.

They do not care what the paying customer has to say. For instance, they took away a feature some time back. When I sent them an email asking them about it, the reply was "We have already discussed this, we are not going to put it back, ever, you will like the new stuff we have coming soon." That was the actual reply without the flowery stuff in there.

Prior to them poisoning the well with me, I had read an interview of Meetup.com CEO in the Wall Street Journal. At that time I was pretty high on them, but after hearing his re-written history of the start of the company I started to worry. It wasn't that a few things were fudged, it was that it was downright lies about how the company came to be. I disagreed with their political birth but they had moved well beyond it by that time. So for the CEO to tell outright falsehoods told me that this was a company that was not to be trusted, they would say or do whatever got them what they wanted, and that they would hide relevant information from you and lie to your face. Danger, money will be lost if you invest in them!

And finally, why the hell is it that when I log out of Meetup.com they log me out of Facebook too? Seriously, what is that all about? Sounds like shoddy programming to me, plus the fact that it's still there after more than a year shows they don't care to fix it.

Now, what can I do about reversing / challenging that credit card billing?

No comments: